The law firm of Cooper Levenson was originally formed in 1957 in Atlantic City, NJ with just two attorneys. Today, Cooper Levenson is a full-service law firm with 70 attorneys who practice in 25 practice areas. The firm has offices in five states. In New Jersey, offices are in Atlantic City and Cherry Hill. Additional offices are in New York, New York, Wilmington, Delaware, Las Vegas, Nevada, and Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Because of its high visibility, the casino law group is often referred to as the firm’s most “sexy” practice area. The firm’s attorneys, though, have long and distinguished careers in business and tax law, litigation, employment and labor law, personal injury law, education law, and more. The firm serves a client base that spans the region and the globe – from individuals to corporations and companies of all sizes and types, even sovereign governments.
When Jim Cooper founded the firm 65 years ago, his love for the law was matched by a deep sense of commitment to the community. Jim volunteered with President Kennedy’s Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights and, in 1968, traveled to Mississippi to fight for the cause. Jim was a prime mover in changing the New Jersey Constitution to allow for Casino Gaming in Atlantic City. His example has become part of the firm’s DNA. Attorneys and staff members are always encouraged to seek ways in which they can make a difference. The efforts of our team members include pro bono work for innumerable community groups and non-profits that address issues such as food insecurity, education, homelessness, youth development, LGBTQ and women’s issues, healthy living, economic development, and many others. A few examples:
- ‘Let Us Eat, Please,’ a non-profit organization headed by Chairman Kenneth J. Calemmo, Jr., Chief Operating Officer and firm partner, Amy Houck Elco in partnership with the Community Food Bank and area schools. Food to make 25,000 meals was distributed to Atlantic County families in towns where there is a high percentage of students in the federal meal program this summer.
- For 20 years, the firm has worked with the American Heart Association of New Jersey to build awareness about heart healthy habits, essential in Atlantic City, a known food desert. Lloyd D. Levenson served as Chairman for the South Jersey AHA and team members spent countless hours on the initiative, securing the AHA Gold Fit-Friendly Workplace recognition for two years.
- The firm’s efforts in the area of civil rights is as strong as ever. Our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion efforts are headed by Yolanda Melville, a partner and Vice President of Atlantic City’s NAACP Branch and Legal Committee Member to the NAACP National Board of Directors. Selected as a Kellogg’s Law Fellow for the NAACP Office of General Counsel, Yolanda worked on national civil rights issues and participated in discussion panels throughout the country.
These and other programs contribute to the fabric of the firm and strengthen the bond between team members who share the same commitment to community. The firm boasts employee longevity as is rarely seen in today’s world, with 34 team members who have been with the firm more than 20 years, 19 who have been part of the firm for more than 30 years, and 7 who have been part of the Cooper Levenson family for 40 years or more. The firm’s professional relationship with Capaldi, Reynolds and Pelosi has also stood the test of time. According to Rob Salad, President of Cooper Levenson: “For the past 27 years, Cooper Levenson has relied upon the expertise of Capaldi Reynolds and Pelosi for all of its professional accounting needs. We continue to enjoy a wonderful partnership that we hope will continue for the next 27 years. Their responsiveness and the level of services are impressive.”
Representative practice areas (this is not a complete list but a quick reference guide):
- Appellate Law
- Banking & Financial Services
- Financial Restructuring
- Business Law
- Cannabis Law
- Condo, Homeowner, Community Association Law
- Criminal Law
- Hospitality & Casino Law
- Commercial Litigation
- Education/School Law
- Employment & Labor Law
- Estate Planning, Administration & Litigation
- Ethics & Professional Defense
- Gaming & iGaming Law
- Family Law
- Health Care Law
- Land Use, Zoning, Planning
- Personal Injury
- Real Estate Law
- Workers Compensation
Cooper Levenson’s mission sums it up – to provide our business and individual clients with an uncompromising commitment to exceptional legal services and a “client first” focus that we believe has contributed to our success since 1957. The firm has experienced extensive growth and change over the last six decades, but the cornerstones of our firm’s foundation remain the same:
- Quality lawyering
- Commitment to client service
- Corporate responsibility
- Dedication to community